Friday, July 29, 2011

Cover Letter = Ahhhhh!!!!

Hello Friends and Family!

I am writing this blog on account of my feelings towards cover letters =)

I've always found it hard to talk about myself, so when I think about my future in the performance world, I can't help but get nervous thinking that for the rest of my life (or at least until I have satisfied my inner artist) I have to sell myself as a product and "talk myself up".

One of the assignments in our business class it to write a cover letter to a manager.  I have never written one of these before so I find the task quite daunting.  I mean I can't tell if I am getting too personal, writing too much, writing too little?  I can't tell whether or not this letter is really going to sell who I am or even if it will get me an interview.  One of the things I have always felt confident about is my personality.  I seriously could sit and talk with a person for hours, even if we have absolutely nothing in common.  So how do I sell myself in a few paragraphs or less to get them to want to meet with me?  If anyone has any ideas please let me know! =)

To be honest... I have never been one with "the words".  My college essays weren't A+ papers like many of my friends and I sometimes find it hard to express what I truly mean or how I really feel. Which is why performance has become the drive of my life.  I feel like when I perform, I don't even need to say anything... it simply is expressed through what I am doing.  I've always been a firm believer in "actions speak louder than words" and I as a performer live through that statement.  I wish there was another way besides writing a letter to get an agent or manager to interview me, or as I like to say... get them to know who I really am and appreciate my product.

In the end... we're all looking for the same thing.  We all want to be seen and heard and in the end it is going to be based upon: what you have in common, connections, and simply what they need in that moment of time.

So hopefully this letter turns out lovely; and hopefully Honey what they are craving that day! ;-P

*HUGS!*
Honey

No comments:

Post a Comment