Sunday, June 19, 2011

Like Father Like Daughter

First off... Happy Father's Day!!! I know many of you aren't father's, but we all came from somewhere, whether or not they are here; without them we wouldn't be who we are today.

Secondly... I would just like to tell you a little back story of my life.  
I  have blurry visions of my dad and all the things he would do with us when I was around two or three years old.  He would take me to the park, feed the duckies, and so much more.  However it was him rocking me to sleep at night and singing "You Are My Sunshine" that I will remember the most.  I remember there would be some nights that it would be bedtime and I would wait for my dad to come in and rock me to sleep.  I would wait and wait until he would come in, pick me up and slowly start rocking back and forth as I'd drift off to sleep.  Then there would be nights where he wouldn't come in.  I would have to run all over the house to find him, until finally when I did, I would walk right up to him, stare up at him, lift my arms in the air and say "wock me!"
He would scoop me up, take me in my room and rock and sing until I zonked out.  This actually lasted for years.  The bigger I got the harder it was to rock a 5 year old, so he would move to the rocking chair that we had.

I truly believe that it was my dad who inspired me to become what I am today.  I would sit around the house sometimes and watch him play his acoustic guitar and sing old Beatles songs or folk music.  Then as I began to grow he would pull out his electric guitar and show me what rock and roll was.  I think that because music seeped into my body at such a young age, I have a love for it that I will never have for anything else.  And because I saw how happy his passion made him, it affected me in the same way.

My dad is an inspirational man.  He is kind, gentle, compassionate and has not a single mean bone in his body.  He would be the one to lead girl scout meetings or take me shopping for homecoming dresses or drive me an hour to voice lessons.  He never missed a single game, recital, or show.  Without him I would not be who I am today as a person or performer.

Figure out in life who inspires you... and when you do make sure thank them, because where would we be if we didn't have them to guide us in our artistry?

Thank you Dad for all you do and all you have done.  I love you!  Happy Father's Day!

*HUG!*
Honey

No comments:

Post a Comment